Ingredients 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons McCormick® Mixed Pickling Spice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Turmeric
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) pitted dates, quartered
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 Place the pickling spice in the center of piece of cheesecloth or coffee filter. Tie tightly with long piece of string.
- 2 Mix flour, garlic salt and turmeric in shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Heat oil in large deep skillet or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add chicken; cook about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Turn chicken halfway through cooking and add onion. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Add pickling spice bundle, dates and almonds.
- 3 Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove pickling spice bundle. Serve with hot cooked couscous or rice, if desired.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Slow Cooker Directions: Prepare as directed in Steps 1 and 2. Transfer ingredients to slow cooker; cover. Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Remove pickling spice bundle.