The bright bold flavor of cilantro makes its home in the kitchens of Mexico, India, China and Southeast Asia. Add to stir-fries, salsa, guacamole, fajitas and curries.
WHAT IS CILANTRO?
Cilantro is an herb from the leaves of the coriander plant and is a member of the parsley family. They look similar to flat-leaf parsley on long tender stems. Cilantro seeds are used to make coriander spice and the roots are edible. Cilantro is truly a no-waste plant.
WHAT DOES CILANTRO TASTE LIKE?
Fresh cilantro provides a mix of lemon, peppery and pungent taste and for some can even taste like soap due to the natural aldehyde chemicals in the leaves. Dried cilantro provides a more subtle flavor and we recommend using it as a topper on foods.
HOW TO STORE CILANTRO
Keep dried cilantro in an airtight jar similar to all herbs and spices away from heat and moisture. We recommend a spice cabinet that is away from the sink, stove and not facing direct sunlight. When properly stored, dried cilantro can last up to 3 years but we recommend to always check the best use date.
FLAVORS THAT GO WITH CILANTRO:
Cilantro pairs nicely with these herbs and spices. Try them together the next time you're in the kitchen cooking something up for lunch or dinner.
- Ginger: The very finest ginger comes from small holder farmers on one to two acre plots of land off the Malabar Coast of India. Ginger has enjoyed some unusual uses, including warding off the plague during Henry VIII’s time. In the 19th century, ginger was commonly sprinkled on top of beer or ale and then stirred into the drink with a hot poker. Today, ginger is an essential ingredient in all kinds of sweet and savory dishes.
- Red Pepper: Use our pure red pepper to enliven any dish with vibrant flavor and fiery spice. McCormick Red Pepper is made from the seeds and pods of red chili peppers. We test each new crop of field-grown peppers for color, flavor, aroma and heat. The chili pepper is one of the most spicy members of the capsicum family. There’s no better place to turn if you’re looking to add spicy, intense flavor to any dish.
- Mint: Refreshing spearmint adds cool flavor to beverages, spring vegetables, or fruit and grain salads. A traditional seasoning for lamb, stews and marinades. Try mint and cilantro in a South-Of-the-Border Tom Collins cocktail.
- Cumin: Our pure cumin is an easy way to add deep, earthy citrusy flavors to spark your favorite meals. Cumin is one of the top 10 selling spices in the U.S. The spice dates back to Egypt 4,000 years ago, and McCormick Cumin is hand-harvested, sun-dried and carefully screened so you know you're getting nothing but the purest flavor. Add this spice for a warm flavor and earthy color to everyday soups, stews, meats and vegetables.
- Garlic: Dried garlic takes on a mellow, round flavor that elevates recipes both savory and sweet. Garlic is a member of the lily family, native to Central Asia and cousin to leeks, chives, onions and shallots. It’s the most pungent of the lilies, with a strong flavor and aroma. Unless you’re using it to ward off vampires, as people have done since the 1700s, it pays to use allium sativum with a gentle hand.
GRAB YOUR CILANTRO PRODUCTS!
AND TRY THESE RECIPES THAT USE CILANTRO:
FISH & CILANTRO RECIPES
SHRIMP & CILANTRO RECIPES
- Thai Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
- Paprika Spiced Shrimp With Citrus Cilantro Quinoa Salad
- Gluten-Free grilled Shrimp Mango Slaw
CHICKEN & CILANTRO RECIPES
- Fiery Chicken And Rice Noodles
- Asian Chicken Skewers
- Southwest Garlic-Lime Chicken Fajitas
- Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
STEAK & CILANTRO RECIPES
- Ancho Adobo Tacos De Bistec With Grilled Corn And Tomatillo Salsa
- Grilled Tequila-Lime Skirt Steak With Avocado Chopped Salad
- Cantina Steak Quesadillas With Skillet-Charred Corn Salsa
CILANTRO SAUCE RECIPES
OTHER CILANTRO RECIPES TO TRY
LEARN MORE ABOUT SPICES & HERBS
- 5 (Almost) Magical Spice Pairings You Need To Try Right Now
- Tips & Tricks For Organizing Your Spice Cabinet
- How Long Do Spices Last?
- How To Make An Herb Rub Without A Recipe
- This Spicy Cucumber Salad Is A Cilantro-Lover’s Dream
- 5 Ingredient Cilantro-Lime Chicken Is A Weeknight Win
TRY SOME OF OUR FAVORITE CUISINES
Ready to use more cilantro in your recipes? Save your favorite food, dessert, drink recipes and organize your ingredients with our meal-planning tool. Create a Flavor Profile to save all your favorite recipes and create grocery lists for easy shopping. You will also get custom recommendations based on your saved items to make your meals!