Serve this filling stew on a chilly winter evening. For added convenience, see tip below for slow cooker preparation. Photo credit: Sandy Coughlin from Reluctant Entertainer.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 can (14 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, , undrained
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Whole Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 1 McCormick® Bay Leaves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 3/4 cup instant rice
- 1 Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the meat. Brown on all sides. Remove with slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining meat and the onion.
- 2 Return all meat to saucepan. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, 1/2 cup water, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- 3 Mix cornstarch and 4 teaspoons water in small bowl. Add to saucepan along with rice. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 4 minutes or until slightly thick and rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner