McCormick Red Pepper is made from the seeds and pods of red chili peppers. We test each new crop of field-grown peppers for color, flavor, aroma and heat. The chili pepper is one of the most spicy members of the capsicum family. There’s no better place to turn if you’re looking to add spicy, intense flavor to any dish. You know your crushed red pepper is fresh if it sets your nose tingling when you take that first whiff. It should be a deep red color, with flecks of yellow seeds. Ground red pepper, also called cayenne, started life in the New World as a particularly intense member of the capsicum family of chili peppers. It has since traveled the globe, bringing intense chili heat and vivid red color to every kitchen it enters.
HOW MCCORMICK SOURCES RED PEPPER:Peppers that make the grade are harvested, sun-dried, and shipped whole for milling and packaging. Each batch can be traced back to its source, which helps us to ensure quality and consistent levels of heat. You can count on every bottle of McCormick Red Pepper to deliver a consistent heat, deep red color and ratio of seeds to pods. McCormick Red Pepper, also called cayenne pepper, is made from the seeds and pods of red, ripe chili peppers that have been gently sun dried and milled. We test each batch of peppers for color, flavor, aroma and heat. Such close attention to every harvest is the only way to ensure that you can count on cayenne from one jar of McCormick Red Pepper to offer the same level of heat and deep, red color as the next.
FIELDS OF VISION VR EXPERIENCE
See for yourself what McCormick’s greater responsible-resourcing initiative looks like through this unique VR experience.
FLAVORS THAT GO WITH RED PEPPER:
- Garlic: McCormick partners with family owned farms to grow garlic that can be used as powder or minced. It adds instant flavor into whatever you’re cooking because our bottles contain garlic and only garlic, and nothing else. Garlic is a member of the lily family, native to Central Asia and cousin to leeks, chives, onions and shallots. It’s the most pungent of the lilies, with a strong flavor and aroma. Unless you’re using it to ward off vampires, as people have done since the 1700s, it pays to use allium sativum with a gentle hand.
- Cumin: Our pure cumin is an easy way to add deep, earthy citrusy flavors to spark your favorite meals. Cumin is one of the top 10 selling spices in the U.S. The spice dates back to Egypt 4,000 years ago, and McCormick Cumin is hand-harvested, sun-dried and carefully screened so you know you're getting nothing but the purest flavor. Add this spice for a warm flavor and earthy color to everyday soups, stews, meats and vegetables. Cumin is beloved around the world for bringing a warm, earthy, spicy, peppery flavor to simple dishes. It doesn't matter what type of cuisine you're cooking. Cumin is a great way to spark up the flavor.
- Ginger: Ginger is one of those intriguing spices that can walk the fine line between savory and sweet. The very finest ginger comes from small holder farmers on one to two acre plots of land off the Malabar Coast of India. Ginger has enjoyed some unusual uses, including warding off the plague during Henry VIII’s time. In the 19th century, ginger was commonly sprinkled on top of beer or ale and then stirred into the drink with a hot poker. Today, ginger is an essential ingredient in all kinds of sweet and savory dishes. Ginger is the rhizome, or underground stem, of a small plant that grows two to four feet in height. McCormick Ginger is grown from roots planted just before the start of monsoon season. About nine months later, when the leaves of the plants die back, the roots are harvested by hand, carefully washed and gently dried in the sun. We test every batch, every year, to ensure that each bottle of McCormick Ginger delivers consistent flavor, aroma and heat.
- Turmeric: McCormick Turmeric hails from India, where it’s considered a sacred part of Hindi culture. We monitor its progress from field to package to ensure consistent color and quality in every bottle. The turmeric plant hides its brilliant color underground, showing only glossy green leaves and multi-petaled white flowers. But dig up the root, carefully clean and dry it, and you have an extraordinary spice beloved as much for its color as its flavor. Our pure turmeric in ground form is a lively partner for infusing curries, soups, stews, rubs, marinades and vegetable and rice dishes with beautiful color and citrusy aroma.
- Basil: Sweet and fragrant basil complements tomato-based dishes including pizza, pasta and marinara sauce. It also pairs well with vegetable, chicken, pork or seafood.
GRAB YOUR RED PEPPER PRODUCTS!
Crushed red pepper and ground red pepper, commonly called cayenne, are made from the same hot chili pepper. You can easily substitute one for the other
- McCormick Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- McCormick Hot Shot Extra Bold Pepper Blend
- McCormick Crushed Red Peppers
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Cayenne Red Pepper