Emma Scielzo was the winner from Maryland in the 2013 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge recipe contest. Emma’s grandmother cooks healthy and delicious Indian food whenever her family visits her. She has inspired Emma to try different flavors, spices and herbs.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- to 3 yellow, green, or orange bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 medium grilled or cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/3 medium cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
4 whole wheat
- flatbread, warmed
- Fresh mango slices
- 1 In a medium sauté pan over moderate heat, warm the oil. Add the bell peppers, tomato, onion, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook until slightly tender, about 10 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons water and chicken and continue to cook for several more minutes.
- 2 In a medium bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumber, and the remaining 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 3 To serve: Place lettuce and a scoop of chicken masala mixture in the center of each tortilla or roll. Add a spoonful of the raita to each wrap, or serve it on the side, along with fresh mango slices.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner