This hearty soup is the winning recipe in the “Cool Weather Cooking with Thai Kitchen” Recipe Contest sponsored by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed or minced (3 tablespoons), divided
- 2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper
unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 SEASON chicken with pepper and salt. Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened. Add 1/2 of the garlic and ginger, and red pepper; cook and stir 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 2 STIR in stock, tomatoes, black-eyed peas, coconut milk, peanut butter and 1 teaspoon of the thyme. Bring to boil. Cook 25 to 30 minutes or until reduced by 1/3. Reduce heat to low. Add sweet potato, chicken, remaining garlic and ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining thyme. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- 3 TO SERVE, ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon thyme.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner