What’s not to love about the crispy, slightly sweet, served-on-a-stick corn dog? Exactly. Now add McCormick® Original Chili Seasoning Mix to the cornmeal batter for a kick of signature chili flavor. Yum. Recipe and Photo Credit: Elena Besser, @elenabesser.
Ingredients 6 (2 mini corn dogs) Servings
plus 2 teaspoons
canola oil, divided
- vegetable oil, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 package McCormick® Chili Seasoning Mix, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 6 hot dogs, cut in half crosswise
- 3/4 cup French's® Tomato Ketchup
- Dash hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot® Original
- Chopped fresh chives, optional
- 1 Place 10 cups of the oil in large, heavy bottomed saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat until oil reaches 360°F.
- 2 While oil is heating, place 2 tablespoons of the flour in shallow dish; set aside. Mix remaining 3/4 cup of the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and 2 tablespoons of the Chili Seasoning in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Beat milk and egg in separate small bowl; pour into bowl with cornmeal mixture. Mix with wooden spoon until completely moistened. Transfer batter mixture to tall measuring cup or glass.
- 3 Thread each piece of hot dog onto one of 12 skewers. Working in batches, roll hot dogs in flour to coat, tapping to remove excess flour. Then dip hot dogs in batter, twisting while lifting out, making sure hot dogs are evenly coated.
- 4 Immediately place battered hot dogs into hot oil in saucepan. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until corn dogs are golden brown and cooked through. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- 5 Mix remaining 2 teaspoons oil and remaining Chili Seasoning Mix in medium saucepan. Cook and stir on medium heat until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add ketchup and hot sauce, mixing with wire whisk until well blended. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- 6 Serve warm corn dogs with chili-seasoned ketchup. Enjoy!
- 7 Cook’s Notes: Corn dogs can be reheated in a preheated 450°F oven for 5 minutes or until warm and crisp.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon.
Go To Meal Planner