This cake is flavored with a Middle Eastern spice blend, Shawarma, which contains warm, aromatic spices like allspice, coriander, cinnamon and ginger. Top this moist date cake with a spiced caramel sauce and vanilla whipped cream.
Ingredients 24 Servings
- Spiced Date Cake
- 2 cups pitted dried dates
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons Shawarma Spice Blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Shawarma Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. For the Cake, place dates and water to cover in small saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Drain dates. Place in food processor; cover. Process until just smooth. Set aside.
- 2 Mix flour, Spice Blend, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in yogurt and date mixture until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Pour batter into greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- 3 Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- 4 For the Caramel Sauce, cook granulated sugar in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, without stirring and swirling pan occasionally. Add butter; stir until melted. Add cream; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in Spice Blend and vanilla.
- 5 For the Vanilla Whipped Cream, beat all ingredients in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Serve cake with Caramel Sauce and Vanilla Whipped Cream.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner