Create a show-stopping dessert table with luscious Lemon Citrus Cake. Use McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract to create bright, citrusy lemon flavor in the moist cake. Nature's Inspiration™ Food Coloring adds a beautiful yellow hue to both the batter and frosting.
Ingredients 16 Servings
- Lemon Cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into 10 pieces
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- Lemon Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower from McCormick® Nature's Inspiration Food Colors
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F. For the Cake, grease 3 (8-inch) round cake pans. Set aside. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Set aside. Mix buttermilk and baking soda in small bowl. Set aside.
- 2 Bring water and butter to boil in small saucepan, stirring to blend. Add the hot butter mixture into the flour mixture; mix with wire whisk until well blended. Add the buttermilk mixture, oil, eggs and extracts; mix with whisk until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 3 Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- 4 For the Frosting, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gradually beat in heavy cream on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add lemon extract and food color; mix well.
- 5 Place one cooled cake layer on serving platter and spread with about 1/2 cup of the frosting. Top with second cake layer and spread with another 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with remaining frosting. Decorate as desired. Cover and refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature when ready to serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner