Shredded beets turn into tots in this creative appetizer. Season beets and russet potatoes with a savory blend of McCormick® Black Pepper, Garlic and Chili Powder. Fried until crispy, they feel even more “grown-up” when dunked into a cool, creamy dipping sauc...
Shredded beets turn into tots in this creative appetizer. Season beets and russet potatoes with a savory blend of McCormick® Black Pepper, Garlic and Chili Powder. Fried until crispy, they feel even more “grown-up” when dunked into a cool, creamy dipping sauce, starring our citrusy Pure Lime Extract.
Recipe created by two-time "Chopped" champ, Chef James Briscione. He brings creativity to the table with bold flavors and spices in his new Food Network cooking show, "Man Crafted."Read More Read Less
Ingredients 6 to 8 Servings
- Beet-Er Tots:
- 2 large golden beets
- 1 russet potato
- 1 teaspoon salt from McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon gelatin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Onion Powder
- McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- Spiced Yogurt and Avocado Crema
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lime Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt from McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and cut into large chunks
- 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 For the Beet-Er Tots, peel the beets and potato and grate them on the coarse holes of a box grater. Toss with the salt and place in a colander. Squeeze the mixture and press with your hands to extract as much liquid as possible.
- 2 Combine the hot water, gelatin powder, chili powder, onion powder and pepper to taste in a bowl and stir until dissolved. Pour the mixture over the grated beets and potatoes and mix quickly to distribute.
- 3 Divide the mixture into 3 equal parts and place each on its own long sheet of plastic wrap. Form into cylinders approximately 3/4- to 1-inch thick and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the freezer to firm, 8 hours or up to overnight.
- 4 Add 2 inches of oil to a high-sided saute pan and heat over medium-high heat until it registers 375 degrees F on a deep-frying thermometer.
- 5 Unwrap the rolls and slice into 1-inch pieces. Fry in batches until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Drain on a rack and sprinkle with salt before serving with the Spiced Yogurt and Avocado Crema.
- 6 For the Spiced Yogurt and Avocado Crema, pulse together the cilantro, oil, lime extract, salt, cumin, black pepper, avocado and jalapeno in a food processor,until blended together smoothly. Add the yogurt and blend until smooth and creamy.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon.