A soulful combo, homemade buttermilk fried chicken with sage waffles, satisfies all the cravings. Drizzle with molasses-cider syrup instead of typical maple syrup for a unique eating experience.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- Fried Chicken:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® Rubbed Sage, divided
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, each piece cut into thirds
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- Molasses-Cider Syrup:
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup pancake and waffle mix
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Rubbed Sage
- 1 For the Fried Chicken, mix buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of the sage in large bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Cover. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight for best flavor. Mix flour, remaining 2 teaspoons sage, salt, pepper and red pepper in large bowl until well blended.
- 2 Pour oil into cast-iron or large deep skillet, filling no more than 1/3 full. Heat to 325°F on medium heat. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture. Coat in seasoned flour. Once all of the chicken has been coated, coat again in seasoned flour. Add chicken in batches to hot oil. Fry 10 to 12 minutes per side or until cooked through and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- 3 Meanwhile, for the Molasses-Cider Syrup, bring cider, molasses and brown sugar to simmer in small saucepan on medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Keep warm.
- 4 For the Waffles, prepare pancake and waffle mix as directed on package for waffles, adding sage to the batter. Serve fried chicken with waffles and warm Molasses-Cider Syrup.