- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cream Of Tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 48 ring-shaped hard candies, each flavor crushed separately
- 1 Mix flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and nutmeg. Set aside.
- 2 Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed. Refrigerate dough about 2 hours or until firm.
- 3 Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on lightly floured (see Test Kitchen Tip) surface. Cut into shapes with 2 1/2- to 3-inch cookie cutters. With mini cookie cutters, cut centers out of larger shapes. Remove small dough cutout and set aside. (Re-roll these scraps and cut out as above.) Place large cookies on foil-lined baking sheets. Fill hole with crushed candy.
- 4 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until candy is melted and cookies are until lightly browned. Place baking sheets on wire racks. Cool cookies completely before removing from foil.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Mix 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar to use for dusting surface.
To crush candies, place candy in resealable plastic bags, using a separate bag for each candy color desired. Finely crush candy with a rolling pin.
For St. Patrick's Day, use green candies. For Valentine's Day, use heart-shaped cookie cutters and red candies. For Christmas, use green and red candies.
To make cookies into ornaments, use a drinking straw to poke a hole in the top of each unbaked cookie cutout. Thread a ribbon through the hole to use for hanging the baked cookie.