Ingredients 16 (1 bao bun) Servings
- Chocolate Bao Buns
- 1 cup Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 3 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/3 cups self-rising flour, such as Gold Medal® Self-Rising Flour
- Peanut Butter Cream
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 1 ounce semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
- 1 For the Bao Buns, microwave coconut milk in medium microwavable bowl 1 minute on HIGH or until hot. Stir in chopped chocolate until melted. Add granulated sugar, coconut oil and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour until combined. (Work in flour by hand as dough gets stiffer.) Form into a ball. Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- 2 Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 16 rounds (3- to 3 1/2-inches in diameter) with cutter. (Reroll scraps and cut out rounds just once. Overworking dough may cause bao buns not to rise properly.)
- 3 Brush dough rounds lightly with additional coconut oil. Fold over each round without pressing down. Cover with damp kitchen towel. Let rest 10 minutes.
- 4 To cook the Bao Buns, pour 1 inch of water into large pot. Bring to boil. Line a steamer basket with parchment paper. Place some of the bao buns in steamer basket. (Do not overcrowd steamer as buns will expand during cooking.) Insert steamer basket in pot. Cover. Steam on medium heat 10 minutes or until buns have expanded. Transfer buns to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining bao buns.
- 5 For the Peanut Butter Cream, beat peanut butter, cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Add heavy cream and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
- 6 To assemble, gently split bao buns. Dollop a spoonful of Peanut Butter Cream into each bao bun. Top with peanuts and drizzle with melted chocolate. Serve immediately.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip :
Steam bao with bamboo steamer, metal colander or disposable aluminum cake pan. To use cake pan, poke holes in bottom of pan. Place upside down in large pot with 3/4-inch boiling water. Place parchment on top of pan. Steam as directed.
Test Kitchen Tip : Do not reroll bao dough more than once. Overworking dough may cause bao buns not to rise properly.
Bao Hack : Press or roll 8 refrigerated homestyle biscuits on floured surface into 4-inch circle. Brush lightly with coconut oil and fold over. Cook and fill bao buns as directed. Or, purchase premade bao buns in Asian markets or online.