Ingredients 16 (1 bao bun) Servings
- Bao Buns
- 1 cup Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/3 cups self-rising flour, such as Gold Medal® Self-Rising Flour
- Banoffee Pie Filling & Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 3 bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick on the diagonal
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- heavy cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup crumbled Biscoff® Cookies
- 1 For the Bao Buns, mix coconut milk, sugar, coconut oil and vanilla in medium bowl. Gradually stir in flour until combined. (Work in flour by hand as dough gets stiffer.) Form into a ball. Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- 2 Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 16 rounds (3- to 3 1/2-inches in diameter) with cutter. (Reroll scraps and cut out rounds just once. Overworking dough may cause bao buns not to rise properly.)
- 3 Brush dough rounds lightly with additional coconut oil. Fold over each round without pressing down. Cover with damp kitchen towel. Let rest 10 minutes.
- 4 To cook the Bao Buns, pour 1 inch of water into large pot. Bring to boil. Line a steamer basket with parchment paper. Place some of the bao buns in steamer basket. (Do not overcrowd steamer as buns will expand during cooking.) Insert steamer basket in pot. Cover. Steam on medium heat 10 minutes or until buns have expanded. Transfer buns to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining bao buns.
- 5 For the Banoffee Pie Filling & Caramel Sauce, mix 2 tablespoons of the sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Coat banana slices in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- 6 Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add bananas; cook until lightly browned, turning once. Remove bananas. Add remaining butter, remaining sugar and vanilla to same pan, stirring to melt sugar. Cook 5 minutes or until caramel is golden brown. Gradually add coconut milk while stirring. Remove caramel sauce from heat.
- 7 Beat cream cheese and 1/4 of the caramel sauce in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in heavy cream. Beat on medium-high speed 2 minutes or until fluffy. Gently stir crumbled cookies into banoffee pie filling.
- 8 To assemble, gently split bao buns. Dollop a spoonful of Banoffee Pie Filling into each bao bun. Top each with banana slices and drizzle with Caramel Sauce. Serve immediately.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip :
Biscoff Cookies are a brand of Belgian speculoos cookies flavored with caramel and spices. Find in gourmet markets, the international or cookie aisle of some supermarkets or online stores. If unavailable, substitute crushed gingersnaps.
Test Kitchen Tip :
Steam bao with bamboo steamer, metal colander or disposable aluminum cake pan. To use cake pan, poke holes in bottom of pan. Place upside down in large pot with 3/4-inch boiling water. Place parchment on top of pan. Steam as directed.
Test Kitchen Tip : Do not reroll bao dough more than once. Overworking dough may cause bao buns not to rise properly.
Bao Hack : Press or roll 8 refrigerated homestyle biscuits on floured surface into 4-inch circle. Brush lightly with coconut oil and fold over. Cook and fill bao buns as directed. Or, purchase premade bao buns in Asian markets or online.