Sofrito, an aromatic mixture of sautéed bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic and onion, provides a flavorful base for many Latin dishes. Distinctly Middle Eastern flavors like orange, dates, cumin and almonds give this bulgur wheat salad a truly global twist.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup pitted dates, quartered, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 Bring 6 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Meanwhile, heat large skillet on medium heat. Add dry bulgur; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add toasted bulgur to boiling water. Cook on medium heat 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Place bulgur in large bowl. Mix orange peel, juice, cumin and sea salt in small bowl. Pour over bulgur; toss to coat well. Set aside.
- 2 Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Add vegetables, and 1/2 each of the dates, almonds and cilantro to the bulgur; toss to coat well.
- 3 Serve warm or refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with remaining dates, almonds and cilantro.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner