A traditional dish from Southern India, this hearty stew gets its spicy flavor from curry powder and cayenne pepper, which are delicious balanced by the sweetness of the apple and raisins.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Curry Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic powder; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- 2 Mix in chicken, curry powder and ground red pepper. Stir in tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Add apple and raisins; simmer 10 minutes longer or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Ladle stew into shallow soup bowls. Top each with 1/3 cup of brown rice. Garnish with toasted sliced almonds, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner