Individual pies filled with cinnamon-spiced apple slices, drizzled with salted caramel and topped with a crispy puff pastry layer are the perfect treat for those cozy fall days.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- Salted Caramel
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- MIni Apple Pies
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 3 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (1/2 of 17.3 ounce package)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 For the Salted Caramel, bring brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and sea salt to boil in medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally during first 2 minutes. Boil 3 to 4 minutes without stirring until mixture is golden brown. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in cream and vanilla (mixture will be bubbly). Set aside.
- 2 Preheat oven to 400°F. For the Mini Apple Pies, mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apple slices; toss to coat. Divide apple mixture between 4 small (4-inch) baking dishes or ramekins (8-ounce), mounding apples slightly in the center, as needed. Drizzle each with about 1/4 cup of the Salted Caramel. Cut puff pastry sheet into 4 squares. Place one square on top of each pie, tucking in corners as needed. Cut a small ‘x’ in center of each pastry to vent. Brush with egg yolk. Mix granulated sugar and sea salt; sprinkle evenly over top of pies. Place pies on large shallow baking pan.
- 3 Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool slightly. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with any remaining salted caramel, if desired.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Spiced Easy Mini Apple Pies: Use 1 teaspoon McCormick® Apple Pie Spice in place of the cinnamon in both the apple filling and the topping.