Knafeh (also spelled kanafeh) is a dreamy Middle Eastern dessert made with crispy shredded phyllo dough layered with a savory filling and soaked in a sweetly spiced syrup with hints of ginger, vanilla, and cardamom. Topped with crushed, roasted pistachios, Egyptian knafeh is... Knafeh (also spelled kanafeh) is a dreamy Middle Eastern dessert made with crispy shredded phyllo dough layered with a savory filling and soaked in a sweetly spiced syrup with hints of ginger, vanilla, and cardamom. Topped with crushed, roasted pistachios, Egyptian knafeh is equal parts sweet, crunchy, ooey-gooey, and delicious. Read More Read Less
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
- 1 pound frozen kataifi dough, partially thawed
- 1 cup ghee, melted (plus more for greasing pan)
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) Halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1 Whisk sugar, water and lemon juice in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, cardamom and ginger. Let stand 15 minutes. Strain through fine mesh sieve. Cool completely. Set aside.
- 2 Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 10-inch round cake pan with ghee; set aside. Place kataifi dough in large bowl. Drizzle with ghee; toss gently, using hands to work ghee into the dough until strands are evenly coated. Press half of the dough into bottom of prepared pan and about halfway up sides.
- 3 Spread half of the shredded mozzarella over dough. Layer halloumi evenly over top. Sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella. Spread remaining kataifi dough evenly over top pressing lightly to pack the layers slightly.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and immediately pour 1 cup of the spiced syrup evenly over top. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm, cut into wedges, drizzling with remaining syrup and sprinkling with pistachios.
Test Kitchen Tip: Kataifi Dough is a Middle Eastern pastry, made with a mixture of flour, cornstarch, salt, oil, and water. The pastry is similar to phyllo (fillo) dough in texture and often referred to as ‘shredded phyllo’, however kataifi is actually made from a thin batter that’s drizzled onto a hot plate or skillet to make delicate, fine strands resembling shredded wheat when cooked. Kataifi is used in Middle Eastern and Greek desserts like baklava. Find frozen kataifi dough at your local grocery store or through online retailers.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon.
Go To Meal Planner