A cross between a peach cobbler and a dump cake, you can make this peach dump cake using fresh or frozen peaches and boxed cake mix to keep things easy. Made over the campfire for a fun summer treat, dump cake is great fresh from the grill or oven, too.
- step 1
- 8 cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 package (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into thin slices, divided
- 1 Mix peaches, 1/2 cup of the sugar, corn starch, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag until well blended. Mix remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl; set aside.
- 2 Place 4-quart cast iron Dutch oven or large deep cast iron skillet on grill grate over campfire. (Grill grate should be about 6-inches above hot coals, but not directly over flame.) Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in pot, swirling to coat bottom. Add peach mixture, spreading evenly in bottom of pot. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over top. Place remaining butter slices evenly over top of cake mix. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Cover with lid or foil.
Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until peaches are bubbly and topping is golden, rotating Dutch oven halfway through cooking.
Cooking Tip: Check topping halfway through cooking. If needed, stir topping gently to make sure cake mix is completely moistened by melted butter.
- 4 Test Kitchen Tip: To make this peach dump cake in the oven, prepare as directed, preheating skillet in 425°F oven. Cover with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden. You can also make this recipe on a gas grill. Prepare as directed and place on a preheated 425°F grill. Close grill. Cook 25 to 30 minutes, rotating Dutch oven halfway through cooking.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner