Make a place at the breakfast table for congee – a creamy rice porridge. This forbidden rice (black rice) version is a unique way to start the day, loaded with corn, salty pancetta, shredded Gruyere and an unexpected seasoning – ground nutmeg. It’s a welcome balance of nutty, sweet and oh-so-savory, drizzled with a tangy balsamic glaze to finish.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 1 container (32 ounces) Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Chicken Stock, (4 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Pepper Black
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 1 Bring rice, stock and water to boil in large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Season congee with nutmeg, sea salt and pepper; cook 3 to 4 minutes longer. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese until melted.
- 2 Cook pancetta in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Add corn; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Drain mixture on paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- 3 To serve, spoon congee into serving bowls. Top each with corn and pancetta mixture, remaining 1/4 cup cheese and green onions. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.