Take a walk on the sunny side with a Korean-style, egg-topped broth bowl. Fiery fresh Sambal sauce along with ginger and garlic add depth to this hearty broth, the perfect base for chopped cabbage and crispy fried rice. Top with a fried egg for that final layer of savory indulgence.
Ingredients 5 Servings
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 small head Napa cabbage, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ All Natural Korean Style Red Pepper
- 4 cups Kitchen Basics® All Natural Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Thai Kitchen® Gluten Free Premium Fish Sauce
- 1 recipe Fiery Fresh Sambal Sauce, divided (see Cooking Tip for recipe link)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced daikon radish
- 2 cups cooked white jasmine rice
- 5 eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in large Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add cabbage and green onions; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, tomato paste and red pepper; cook and stir until garlic is lightly golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add stock, fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of the Fiery Fresh Sambal Sauce; bring to boil. Boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add daikon; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 2 Heat 1/2-inch of oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Fry cooked rice in batches until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes per batch, turning once. Remove rice with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Sprinkle rice with sea salt to taste, if desired.
- 3 Heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Break eggs into skillet. Cook eggs until whites are set and yolks are still runny, about 5 to 6 minutes. If the whites are not completely set, cover skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- 4 Divide soup into 5 serving bowls. Top each with fried rice and 1 egg. Serve with additional Sambal Sauce, if desired.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Click here for Fiery Fresh Sambal Sauce.