In Mexico, torta sandwiches share notoriety and ubiquity with the esteemed ranks of the taco. Try this authentic version, carefully stacked with crispy chicken and typical fixin’s, like lettuce, tomatoes and avocados. A smoky chipotle Mayonesa takes the flavor profile ...
In Mexico, torta sandwiches share notoriety and ubiquity with the esteemed ranks of the taco. Try this authentic version, carefully stacked with crispy chicken and typical fixin’s, like lettuce, tomatoes and avocados. A smoky chipotle Mayonesa takes the flavor profile of this delicious sandwich from good to “¡espectacular!”Read More Read Less
Ingredients 8 (1/2 sandwich) Servings
- 4 thin-sliced boneless chicken breasts, about one pound
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lawry's® Garlic Powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup McCormick® Mayonesa (Mayonnaise) With Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Chipotle Chili Pepper
sub rolls, split
- bolillo rolls, split
- 4 large lettuce leaves, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1 Season chicken with 3/4 teaspoon of the garlic salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper. Mix flour with cumin, remaining 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in shallow dish. Beat eggs with whisk in another shallow dish. Place bread crumbs in third shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Dip in eggs then coat in bread crumbs. Discard any remaining flour mixture, eggs or bread crumbs.
- 2 Pour 1/2 inch of oil in large skillet. Heat to 350°F on medium heat. Fry chicken cutlets in batches, if necessary, 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. (Do not overcrowd pan or temperature of oil will decrease resulting in greasy chicken. Adjust heat as necessary to maintain temperature of oil. Return oil to 350°F before frying next batch.) Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- 3 Mix mayonnaise and chipotle pepper in small bowl. Spread chipotle mayonnaise evenly on rolls. Top with lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, avocados, onion and jalapeños.
TIPS AND TRICKS
For a more authentic Torta sandwich, use bolillo, telera or birote rolls instead of the sub rolls.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon.