This creative play on “poke” takes ingredients to the flame for a smoky twist. Rubbed in a chili-cumin spice blend, tuna is seared and served with grilled corn and fresh greens. Drizzle with Lime Crema and serve with crunchy plantain chips. Let the party begin!
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Chili Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 pound (1/2-inch thick) center-cut tuna steaks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silk strands removed
- 1 pint heirloom grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 small fresh Anaheim chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
Plantain chips, for serving
- corn tortilla chips
- 1 Mix cumin, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt, and garlic powder in small bowl. Reserve 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture for the Lime Crema. Mix 1 tablespoon of the oil and remaining spice mixture in large resealable plastic bag. Add tuna; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, for the Lime Crema, mix crema, lime juice, lime peel and reserved 1/2 teaspoon spice mixture in small bowl until well blended. Set aside. Crema can be found in the refrigerated or dairy section of Latin markets or some supermarkets. Canned crema can be found in the international aisle. Substitute with sour cream or crème fraiche, or make your own by mixing 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 tbsps. milk.
- 3 Brush corn with another 1 tablespoon of the oil. Grill over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until corn is tender and lightly charred, turning occasionally. Remove from grill. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, remove tuna from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
- 4 Grill tuna over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes per side or until charred on outside but still rare inside. Remove from grill. Let rest about 5 minutes.
- 5 Cut grilled corn kernels off the cob and place in large serving bowl. Add tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, chile pepper, honey, 1/2 of the Lime Crema, remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt; toss to coat well. Anaheim chilies are large, mild, fresh green chilies that are also available roasted, dried or canned. If unavailable, substitute with a fresh Poblano or New Mexico green chile.
- 6 Chop tuna into large pieces and place on top of the corn mixture. Season with additional sea salt, if desired. Drizzle with remaining Lime Crema. Serve with plantain chips or tortilla chips on the side.