Homemade marshmallows are pillowy soft and tender. They are so versatile – you can flavor them with different extracts, tint with assorted colors and cut into desired shapes. This version with cocoa powder and almond extract would be delicious in a cup of hot cocoa.&nb... Homemade marshmallows are pillowy soft and tender. They are so versatile – you can flavor them with different extracts, tint with assorted colors and cut into desired shapes. This version with cocoa powder and almond extract would be delicious in a cup of hot cocoa. Read More Read Less
Ingredients 24 (1 marshmallow) Servings
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, for coating
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1 Spray 9-inch square baking dish with no stick cooking spray then coat with some of the confectioners’ sugar. Set aside. Microwave 1/2 cup of the water, granulated sugar and corn syrup in medium microwavable bowl on HIGH 7 minutes. Stir to dissolve sugar. Microwave on HIGH 5 minutes longer. (Mixture will have a slight yellow tint.) Carefully remove hot bowl from microwave.
- 2 Meanwhile, place remaining 1/2 cup water in mixer bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes. Gradually beat in hot syrup mixture with whisk attachment on medium-low speed. Beat 8 minutes. Add cocoa powder. Increase speed to medium-high. Beat 10 to 12 minutes longer or until mixture is fluffy, shiny and at least tripled in volume. Beat in extracts.
- 3 Spread marshmallow mixture in prepared pan. Smooth top with a spatula. Sift about 2 tablespoons of the confectioners’ sugar over top. Let stand at room temperature overnight or refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- 4 Place remaining confectioners’ sugar in large bowl. Cut marshmallows into 1 1/2-inch squares. Add marshmallows in batches to confectioners’ sugar; toss to coat well. Shake off excess. Store marshmallows in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner