An indispensable, fragrant blend of spices for Eastern Mediterranean cooking, Turkish Baharat seasoning puts a unique stamp on this Persian-inspired dish. The blend starts with traditional Baharat ingredients –black pepper, cardamom, cloves, cumin, nutmeg, coriander and paprika - plus the addition of mint and cinnamon. Cooked in a turmeric and yogurt stock and garnished with a nutty mixture of sour dried barberries and cashews, this chicken and rice meal has global comfort food written all over it.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Kitchen Basics® Organic Free Range Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt , divided
- 4 teaspoons Turkish Baharat Seasoning, (see Cooking Tip for recipe link)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 6 tablespoons dried barberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 Preheat oven to 325°F. Mix milk, stock, yogurt, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- 2 Mix Turkish Baharat Seasoning and remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt in small bowl. Coat chicken evenly with seasoning mixture. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet. Set aside.
- 3 Melt another 2 tablespoons butter in same ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, carrots and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Return chicken to skillet. Stir in rice and 4 tablespoons (or 1/4 cup) of the barberries. Pour yogurt mixture over rice. Cover.
- 4 Cook in oven 40 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- 5 Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in small skillet on medium heat. Add cashews and remaining 2 tablespoons barberries; cook and stir until cashews are golden brown. To serve, garnish rice with cashew and barberry mixture and green onions.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip: Click here for Turkish Baharat Seasoning.