This gorgeous drink is as delicious as it is gram-worthy! Shaved pea flower flavored ice instantly transforms from blue to purple when topped with a mixture of grapefruit and kombucha. Chilled seltzer adds a hint of fizz to finish off this refreshingly fun, faux-cocktail.
This gorgeous drink is as delicious as it is gram-worthy! Shaved pea flower flavored ice instantly transforms from blue to purple when topped with a mixture of grapefruit and kombucha. Chilled seltzer adds a hint of fizz to finish off this refreshingly fun, faux-cocktail.Read More Read Less
Ingredients 4 Servings
- Colored Ice
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup dried pea flowers
- Basil & Anise Syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Anise Seed
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Basil Leaves
- Grapefruit Kombucha
- 1 cup Basil & Anise Syrup, chilled
- 1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, chilled
- 1 cup unflavored kombucha, chilled
- 1/4 cup cold water
- To Serve
- 1 cup chillled seltzer water, divided
- 4 edible orchid flowers, (to garnish)
- 1 For the colored ice, bring 1 cup of the water to boil in small saucepan on medium-high heat. Add pea flowers; steep until flowers are hydrated and water is tinted blue. Strain through a fine sieve; discard flowers. Mix blue pea flower water with remaining 5 cups water in large glass measuring cup, stirring until well blended. Pour mixture into ice cube trays. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 2 For the Basil & Anise Syrup, mix all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to simmer on medium heat. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Strain mixture through fine sieve. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 3 To make the Grapefruit Kombucha, mix Basil & Anise Syrup, grapefruit juice, unflavored kombucha and water in large glass measuring cup.
- 4 To serve, shave pea flower ice cubes using a food processor or ice shaver. Place 3/4 cup of the shaved ice into bottom of beverage glass. Place orchid flower in glass on top of ice. Layer with an additional 1/4 cup of the shaved ice.
- 5 5. Mix 3/4 cup Grapefruit Kombucha and 1/4 cup seltzer. Pour over ice and serve immediately to reveal color-changing beverage. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 beverages.
Test Kitchen Tips:
•Butterfly Pea Flowers are native to Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia. The dried flowers are used to infuse vivid blue color and earthy, green tea-like flavor into teas, drinks and dishes like rice desserts. When the pH of a pea flower infusion is changed (often by adding lemon juice), the vibrant blue color transforms to violet or magenta. Butterfly pea flowers can be found at many online retailers, as well as in some natural food markets.
•If you don’t have ice cube trays, freeze pea-flower tinted water in multiple resealable plastic bags. Break ice into manageable chunks when ready to shave in food processor.
•To shave ice cubes, place about 2 cups ice cubes in food processor. Pulse until desired texture, usually about 10 to 20 seconds. Remove any remaining large chunks of ice. Use immediately. 2 cups of ice cubes should yield about 2 1/2 cups of shaved ice.
•Don’t shave ice until you are ready to serve. Shaved ice will melt quickly, and you will lose the color-changing effect when the Kombucha meets the ice!