Flavored with aromatic sage and Albariño wine, this meatless take on classic Spaghetti Bolognese uses borlotti beans as a satisfying swap for ground beef or pork. The spiralized summer squash makes a healthy, fresh and gluten-free alternative to traditional pasta.
Ingredients 5 (1 cup) Servings
- 2 cans (14.28 ounces) cranberry beans, (also called borlotti beans), drained and divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- other dry white wine
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Turkish Bay Leaves
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Sage Leaves
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Garlic Powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Ground Black Pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 pounds summer squash, such as yellow squash or zucchini
- 1 For the Bolognese, mash 1 can of the drained beans with potato masher. Set side. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables just soften. Add wine and mashed beans; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2 Stir in remaining beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, bay leaves, sage, 1 teaspoon of the garlic powder, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon each of the pepper and salt, and red pepper. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Meanwhile, for the Squash Spaghetti, trim squash ends. Cut squash into spaghetti-shaped strands using a julienne peeler or spiralizer until you reach the seeds. Discard squash core. (Should yield about 1 pound of “spaghetti”.)
- 4 Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon oil over “spaghetti” in large bowl; toss gently to coat. Season with remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt, pepper and garlic. Heat large nonstick skillet on high heat. Add “spaghetti”; cook and stir gently about 30 seconds or just until heated through.
- 5 To serve, place “spaghetti” in large serving bowl or individual serving bowls and top with Borlotti Bean Bolognese. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner