Ingredients 6 (1 cup stew and 1/3 cup couscous) Servings
- Moroccan Bean and Pepper Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow or red bell peppers
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 can (16 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
- 2/3 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 For the Stew, heat oil in 3-quart saucepan on medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, squash and onions; cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, ginger, red pepper and sea salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2 For the Couscous, bring broth, cinnamon and ginger to boil in medium saucepan on high heat. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and raisins. Cover. Let stand 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff couscous with fork.
- 3 Serve stew over couscous in large soup bowls. Sprinkle with chopped fresh mint and toasted sliced almonds, if desired.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Using reduced sodium vegetable broth to prepare the couscous saves 48mg sodium per serving.