Ingredients 12 Servings
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add onion to skillet; cook and and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- 2 Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in 13x9-inch baking dish. Layer with 1/2 each of the onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly with cottage cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes, onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- 3 Beat eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk. Add milk, mustard, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Gradually pour into baking dish. Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 4 Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.
Tips and Tricks
Make Ahead: This bacon egg and cheese casserole can be assembled one day ahead of time. Prepare as directed, increasing milk to 2 cups. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Remove the lid and bake as directed.