Add creative crunch and flavor to tender grilled squash with sweet and savory pumpkin seeds. Seasoned with Grill Mates® Brown Sugar Bourbon, toasted seeds are great for snacking by the handful or tossing over salad greens.
Recipe created by two-time "Chopped" champ, Chef James Briscione. He brings creativity to the table with bold flavors and spices in his new Food Network cooking show, "Man Crafted."
Ingredients 6 Servings
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shelled green pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Grill Mates® Brown Sugar Bourbon Seasoning
- Grilled Zucchini and Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons McCormick® Parsley Flakes
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
zucchini, or a combo of zucchini and summer squash
- 3 medium summer squash
- Sea salt from McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- Freshly ground black pepper from McCormick® Black Pepper Grinder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
queso fresco, optionaly
- 1/4 cup shaved pecorino cheese, optional
- 1 For the Pumpkin Seeds, preheat a grill for cooking over medium heat.
- 2 Put a medium cast-iron pan on the grill and add the olive oil. Heat the oil, then add the pumpkin seeds and brown sugar seasoning and stir to coat. Toast, stirring often, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely. Reserve 1/4 cup for garnish, then store remaining seeds in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
- 3 For the Zucchini, preheat a grill for cooking over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, dried parsley, garlic powder and vinegar. Mix well to combine and set the marinade aside while you prepare the vegetables.
- 4 Trim the ends from the zucchini (and/or squash) and slice lengthwise 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick (if the zucchini are more than 4 to 5 inches in length, cut in half before slicing). Add the vegetables to the marinade and toss well to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- 5 Remove the vegetables from the marinade and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the zucchini until just tender, about 2 minutes per side. Arrange on a platter and garnish with the Brown Sugar-Bourbon Pumpkin Seeds, cilantro and queso fresco, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon.