Tacu-Tacu, or Peruvian Fried Beans & Rice, is a classic Latin American dish for using up leftovers. Combine cooked rice and beans to form a patty, season with McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Peruvian Seasoning and fry in a skillet. Top with sunny-side up egg for a perfectly Peruvian finish.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon seeded and finely chopped serrano pepper
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Chicken Stock
(15 1/2 ounces)
canary beans, drained and rinsed
- pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 4 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Peruvian
- Fried egg, (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
- 1 Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large deep skillet on medium heat. Add onion and pepper, cook and stir 2 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir in garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock; bring to boil.
- 2 Add beans to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until softened. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the beans to form a slightly chunky paste. Stir in cooked rice and Peruvian Seasoning. Form mixture into a large oval patty using a rubber spatula.
- 3 Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan. (You may need to carefully lift the patty to allow some oil underneath.) Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Serve with fried egg on top and garnish with cilantro, if desired.