Add a savory twist to the traditional fluffy, sweet beignets with a Southern-inspired recipe for shrimp beignets. These little bites of heaven are stuffed with shrimp and green onion, and feature a Louisiana-inspired batter made with Zatarain's® New Orleans Style Creole ...
Add a savory twist to the traditional fluffy, sweet beignets with a Southern-inspired recipe for shrimp beignets. These little bites of heaven are stuffed with shrimp and green onion, and feature a Louisiana-inspired batter made with Zatarain's® New Orleans Style Creole Seasoning. Served with a creamy, bright remoulade sauce made with Zatarain's® Cajun Hot Sauce, Creole Mustard and lemon juice, these golden brown beignets are the perfect appetizer for just about any get-together. Easy to make and ready to eat in just about 30 minutes, these savory shrimp beignets are a great way to turn up the heat on your average hors d'oeuvres. For a full spread of tasty appetizers, serve these along with some Cajun Hush Puppies, Chipotle Corn Pudding, Fried Green Tomatoes and Slow Cooker Cajun Buffalo Meatballs.Read More Read Less
Ingredients 12 (2 beignets) Servings
- Remoulade Sauce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Zatarain's® Creole Mustard Squeeze Bottle
- 2 tablespoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon Zatarain's® Cajun Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Savory Shrimp Beignets
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Zatarain's® New Orleans Style Creole Seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
shrimp, coarsely chopped
- cooked rock shrimp, crawfish or langoustine, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 For the Remoulade Sauce, mix all ingredients in small bowl until well blended. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 For the Beignets, mix flour, baking powder and Creole Seasoning with a whisk in large bowl. Add milk and egg; mix just until moistened. Whisk in melted butter until smooth. Gently stir in shrimp and green onions. Let batter stand for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- 3 Pour 2 inches of oil in large Dutch oven. Heat to 350°F on medium heat. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel-lined plate. Serve beignets with Remoulade Sauce.