Love crispy, seared potatoes? Try cookin’ them on the grill in a cast iron skillet! Combine potatoes, sausage and cheese with the robust flavor of Grill Mates® Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning to create this Italian-inspired one-pot meal. Inspired by the McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2017: GRILLING EDITION Cast Iron Spuds trend. Recipe courtesy of Chef Myron Mixon.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 pounds red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Kitchen Basics® Unsalted Vegetable Stock
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Grill Mates® Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Oregano Leaves
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Prepare grill for indirect high heat (450 to 550°F). Preheat grill by turning all burners to high. Turn off burner(s) on one side. Heat large cast iron skillet on lit side of grill. Add sausage; cook and stir until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove sausage with slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate to drain; set aside. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add potatoes; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2 Mix stock, Seasoning, pepper, oregano, tomato sauce and browned sausage in large bowl. Pour mixture over the potatoes. Bring to boil. Move skillet to unlit side of grill. Cover pan or close grill. Cook 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3 Uncover and stir potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover pan or close grill again. Cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.