The perfect blend of sweet and savory, these Marinated Watermelon Caprese Skewers were made for summer entertaining. A fun twist on classic Italian Caprese, watermelon stars are soaked in an herby basil balsamic marinade and skewered with mild white cheese and prosciutto.
Ingredients 36 (1 skewer) Servings
- 1 package limited edition grill mates basil balsamic veggie marinade mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 mini seedless watermelon, (about 10 pounds), cut into 1-inch thick slices
provolone, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 Mix Marinade Mix, oil, water and vinegar in small bowl. Set aside.
- 2 Cut out star shapes from each watermelon slice with small star-shaped cookie cutter. Place in large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade; turn gently to coat well. Refrigerate 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3 Remove watermelon from marinade. Reserve any remaining marinade. Cut each watermelon star in half crosswise to form 2 thinner stars.
- 4 To assemble each skewer, thread 1 blueberry, 1 thin watermelon star, 1 prosciutto slice, 1 cheese slice and another thin watermelon star onto a short wooden skewer or toothpick, pressing together to make a star-shaped watermelon sandwich. Drizzle skewers with reserved marinade, if desired.