Create flavorful holiday memories with this plant-based green bean casserole. A creamy cashew mushroom sauce tossed with tender green beans and topped with the crunchy flavor of French's Crispy Fried Onions makes for a tasty twist on the classic casserole—one that ever...
Create flavorful holiday memories with this plant-based green bean casserole. A creamy cashew mushroom sauce tossed with tender green beans and topped with the crunchy flavor of French's Crispy Fried Onions makes for a tasty twist on the classic casserole—one that everyone can enjoy!
See the tips below to find out how to prep our vegan version to make ahead!Read More Read Less
(14 1/2 ounces each)
any style Del Monte® Green Beans, drained
- 4 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cooked
- 1 1/3 cups French's® Original Crispy Fried Onions, divided
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk, such as oat milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
sliced white mushrooms
- baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix green beans and 2/3 cup of the Crispy Fried Onions in 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- 2 Place cashews, milk, water, salt and pepper in blender container. Cover. Blend until smooth, about 10 to 20 seconds. Add mushrooms to blender; pulse just until mushrooms are chopped (about 2 to 3 short pulses). Pour over green beans in baking dish, stirring to coat.
Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly. Stir. Top with remaining 2/3 cup Onions. Bake 5 minutes longer until Onions are golden brown.
Can you make Vegan Green Bean Casserole ahead of time? Sure!
Make the creamy mushroom sauce ahead! Prepare as directed, then transfer to an air-tight container. Refrigerate overnight, or freeze up to 1 week. Thaw completely in refrigerator and stir well before adding to green beans in baking dish.
Test Kitchen Tips:
•For a kick of spice, double the black pepper in this green bean casserole recipe to 1/4 teaspoon and prepare as directed.
•If using fresh or frozen green beans, make sure to cook them first! Trim and blanch fresh green beans until tender, or steam frozen beans as directed on package. Make sure to drain well.
•Try with roasted mushrooms for a richer, more flavorful dish. Cut mushrooms in half and arrange in single layer on shallow baking pan. Roast in preheated 375°F oven about 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Prepare sauce as directed using roasted mushrooms.
•To feed a crowd, double the recipe and prepare in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Use an entire 6-ounce container of Crispy Fried Onions, reserving 1 1/3 cup for the topping. Increase cooking time to 40 minutes or until heated through.