Ingredients 10 Servings
- 3 tablespoons McCormick Gourmet™ Ancho Chile Pepper
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Oregano Leaves
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 containers (32 ounces each) Original Chicken Stock, (8 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked and cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into very thin strips
- 1 chayote, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Avocado Crema
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
Cotija cheese, crumbled
- queso fresco, crumbled
- Avocado, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
Crunchy tortilla strips
- tortilla chips
Flour tortillas, for dunking
- corn tortillas
- 1 For the Broth, mix seasonings in small bowl. Set aside. Heat oil in 6-quart stockpot on medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened. Stir in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and 1/2 of the seasoning mixture. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes, adding corn during last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove corn to a plate. Stir lime juice into broth.
- 2 Meanwhile, for the Avocado Crema, place all ingredients in food processor. Process on high speed until smooth. Transfer to bowl; cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3 Coat chicken strips with remaining seasoning mixture; place on plate. Place chayote on a separate plate. Place garnishes in bowls.
- 4 To serve, pour broth into 6-quart electric hot pot or preheated slow cooker. Allow guests to cook chicken and chayote in broth as desired. (Chicken should be cooked about 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally.)
- 5 Let each guest customize their own bowl. Ladle some broth with cooked chicken and vegetables into individual bowls. Top with garnishes and Avocado Crema as desired.
- 6 Multifunction Electric Pressure Cooker Method (Saves 1 hr. cooking time): Mix seasonings in small bowl. Set aside. Heat oil on medium sauté setting in pot of multi-function electric pressure cooker (instant pot). Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in stock, tomatoes and half the seasoning mixture. Add corn. Cover and lock lid into place. Set to cook 15 minutes on high pressure (or Soup setting). Vent pot and release pressure before opening and carefully remove lid. (Check manufacturer’s manual for safe operating instructions.) Set on low sauté setting. Stir in lime juice. Coat chicken with remaining seasoning mixture. Allow guests to cook chicken and chayote in broth, about 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Customize individual bowls and serve as directed.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip : A chayote (or mirliton) is a pear-shaped squash with a texture and taste somewhere between a cucumber and a zucchini. Find it in the specialty section of the produce aisle or in Latin markets. If unavailable, substitute zucchini.
How to preheat a slow cooker and serve at the table: : Preheat slow cooker by filling insert halfway with boiling water. Cover; heat 45 minutes on HIGH. Prepare broth as directed. Just before serving, empty slow cooker of hot water. Carefully pour hot broth into slow cooker on HIGH.