Congee - or breakfast porridge - provides comforting warmth and the ability to keep us full throughout the morning. Add next-level, sweet goodness with a combination of spiced pumpkin or butternut squash to add tender texture, chewy chopped dates to bring the instant sweetness and toasted pecans to impart a nutty crunch. Drizzle with maple syrup and dig on in.
Ingredients 5 Servings
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice
pumpkin, (1/2-inch chunks)
- cut-up peeled butternut squash
- 3 cups carrot juice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Bring rice, pumpkin, carrot juice, water and sea salt to boil in 5-quart Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 45 to 55 minutes or until rice and pumpkin are tender and desired consistency is reached. Stir in pumpkin pie spice.
- 2 To serve, spoon pumpkin congee into serving bowls. Top each with yogurt, dates and pecans. Drizzle with maple syrup.