Chunks of pork shoulder marinated in a New Mexico red chili sauce is a favorite dish of New Mexico with roots in Mexico. Served with accompaniments like Pickled Red Onions, warm tortillas, rice and beans, it makes a rich, hearty meal for a crowd.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- Pork Marinade
- 15 El Guapo New Mexico Whole Chili Pods, stemmed and seeded (about 3 ounces)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 4 medium cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ All Natural Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Pickled Red Onion
- 1 cup fresh lime juice, (from about 12 limes)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 For the Marinade, place chilis in large heat-safe bowl. Add boiling water; cover. Soak chilis 30 minutes or until softened. Remove chilis with tongs or slotted spoon and transfer to blender container, discarding soaking liquid. Add remaining 1 cup water, vinegar, onion, garlic, salt and spices; cover. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- 2 Place pork in large resealable plastic bag or storage container. Add marinade; turn to coat well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 3 Meanwhile, for the Pickled Onions, mix lime juice, salt and sugar in tall jar or plastic storage container. Add onions, making sure to completely submerged in brine. Cover. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container.
- 4 For the Pork, heat oil in large deep skillet on medium heat. Carefully place pork and marinade in skillet. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes until pork is tender. Remove cover; cook 20 minutes longer, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 5 Serve Pork and Pickled Red Onions with warm tortillas, rice and beans. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.