This classic gumbo recipe gets its flavor from the Holy Trinity of Cajun cuisine – celery, bell pepper and onions. Use Zatarain’s Gumbo Base and blend well with andouille sausage and one whole chicken. Freeze any leftovers for when you need a hearty soup on a cold day.
Servings: 18 (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 whole chicken, around 3 to 4 pounds
- 14 cups water, divided
- 2 packages ZATARAIN'S® Gumbo Base
- Chopped green onions
- 1 Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in stock pot or deep Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pot. Set aside. Add remaining oil, celery, bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- 2 Add 12 cups of the water. With a whisk, scrap browned bits from bottom of the pot. Add chicken. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour or until chicken if fully cooked.
- 3 Transfer chicken to large cutting board or large bowl; allow to cool about 15 to 20 minutes or until cool enough to shred. Remove meat from chicken; shred with fork. Discard bones.
- 4 Remove any excess fat from water. Place Base in large bowl. Add remaining 2 cups water and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup of the water from the stock pot and slowing whisk that into the bowl until smooth. Add to mixture in pot. Bring to boil. Return chicken and sausage to pot. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until desired consistency. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with cooked rice, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner