Sunny-side-up egg yolks are simmered in a tomato and vegetable sauce, infused with a savory Middle Eastern spice blend of smoked paprika, cumin, pepper, cayenne, turmeric & caraway. Grab a large spoon, a hunk of bread (to soak up all the savory sauce) and dig into this rustic, comfort meal.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- Shakshuka Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Caraway Seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- Mediterranean Vegetable Shakshuka
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups diced eggplant, (1/2-inch dice)
- 2 cups diced zucchini, (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Dill Weed
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Fennel Seed, ground
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 For the Shakshuka Spice Blend, mix all ingredients in small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- 2 For the Mediterranean Vegetable Shakshuka, heat oil in large cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add eggplant and zucchini; cook and stir 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3 Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1 tablespoon of the Shakshuka Spice Blend, sea salt, dill and ground fennel; stir to coat vegetables.
- 4 Increase heat to medium. Add tomatoes; cook and stir constantly 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- 5 Reduce heat to low. Make 6 indentations with back of wooden spoon into sauce mixture. Break eggs into each indentation. Cover. Cook 10 to 15 minutes (10 minutes for soft yolks or 15 minutes for firm yolks). Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with sliced crusty bread, if desired.