Say “good morning” to Congee, the traditional Asian rice porridge. This new version finds its sweeter side with a mash-up of red rice, pearl barley, sweet-tart cranberries and warm spices – cinnamon, ginger, allspice and cloves. Cooked until creamy, it’s the perfect base for a toasted coconut topping, mango chunks and a dollop of cool, refreshing yogurt and pomegranate molasses drizzle.
Ingredients 5 (1 cup) Servings
- 1 cup red rice
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 7 cups water
- 3 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ All Natural Ground Jamaican Allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pepitas, (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled fresh mango
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 Bring rice, barley, cranberries, water and pomegranate juice to boil in 4-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour and 45 minutes or until desired creamy consistency is reached, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Meanwhile, mix all of the spices in small bowl. Divide spice mixture in half. Set aside.
- 3 Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in small skillet on medium heat. Add almonds, pepitas, coconut and half of the spice mixture; cook and stir until fragrant and golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 4 Stir remaining spice mixture and 1 tablespoon butter into the cooked rice congee.
- 5 To serve, spoon congee into serving bowls. Top each with the toasted coconut-nut mixture, mango and yogurt. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses.