Make a place at the breakfast table for congee – a creamy rice porridge. This forbidden rice (black rice) version is a unique way to start the day, loaded with corn, salty pancetta, shredded Gruyere and an unexpected seasoning – ground nutmeg. It’s a welcome balance of nutty, sweet and oh-so-savory, drizzled with a tangy balsamic glaze to finish.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 1 container (32 ounces) Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Chicken Stock, (4 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Pepper Black
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
How to Make Green Bean Casserole:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix cream of mushroom soup, milk and pepper in 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Stir in green beans and 2/3 cup Crispy Fried Onions.
- 2 Bake 30 minutes or until hot. Stir.
Top with remaining 2/3 cup onions. Bake 5 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown.
Can you make Green Bean Casserole ahead of time? Sure!
Prepare this casserole right up until the baking step (Step 2) and freeze it! Thaw in the fridge the night before baking or increase the bake time by 15 minute increments until the center reaches 160°F.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• For a kick of spice, double the black pepper in this green bean casserole recipe to 1/4 teaspoon and prepare as directed.
• To feed a crowd, double the recipe and prepare in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Use an entire 6-ounce container of Crispy Fried Onions, reserving 1 1/3 cup for the topping. Increase cooking time to 40 minutes or until heated through.
• If using fresh or frozen green beans, make sure to cook them first! Blanch fresh green beans until tender, or steam frozen beans as directed on package.