An indispensable, fragrant blend of spices for Eastern Mediterranean cooking, Turkish Baharat seasoning puts a unique stamp on this Persian-inspired dish. The blend starts with traditional Baharat ingredients –black pepper, cardamom, cloves, cumin, nutmeg, coriander and paprika - plus the addition of mint and cinnamon. Cooked in a turmeric and yogurt stock and garnished with a nutty mixture of sour dried barberries and cashews, this chicken and rice meal has global comfort food written all over it.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Kitchen Basics® Organic Free Range Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons Turkish Baharat Seasoning, (see Cooking Tip for recipe link)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 6 tablespoons dried barberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
To make this easy French toast recipe:
Beat egg, vanilla and cinnamon in shallow dish with wire whisk. Stir in milk.
- 2 Dip bread in egg mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly.
- 3 Cook bread slices on lightly greased nonstick griddle or skillet on medium heat until browned on both sides. Serve with Easy Spiced Syrup (recipe follows), if desired. Voila, easy French toast.
- 4 Easy Spiced Syrup: Add 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract and 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon to 1 cup pancake syrup; stir well to mix. Serve warm, if desired.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip: Click here for Turkish Baharat Seasoning.