Warm up with a big bowl of Sopa Tarasca, one of Mexico's most popular soups! Top the flavorful, silky soup with Mexican crema, Cotija cheese and avocado to make it extra creamy.
Ingredients 7 Servings
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium plum tomatoes , cored
- 2 El Guapo® Whole Mulato Chili Pepper (Chile Mulato), stemmed and seeded
- 1 El Guapo® Whole Pasilla Ancho Chili Pods (Chile Pasilla Ancho), stemmed and seeded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil , divided
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans
- 3 cups original chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Bring water to boil in large saucepan. Remove from heat; add tomatoes and chiles. Cover. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the soaking liquid.
- 2 Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in medium skillet on medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes until softened. Transfer onion mixture to blender container. Add tomatoes, chiles, and reserved 1 cup soaking liquid. Cover. Blend on high until smooth. Strain mixture through fine mesh sieve.
- 3 Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add pureed tomato mixture; bring to simmer. Meanwhile, place pinto beans, stock and salt in blender container. Cover. Blend on high until smooth. Stir bean mixture into saucepan. Return to simmer; cook 20 minutes until slightly thickened.
- 4 Ladle into serving bowls and drizzle with Mexican crema and sprinkle with crumbled Cotija cheese. Serve with tortilla chips and sliced avocado, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner