- 1 pounds (16 ounces) dried pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons El Guapo® Spice Mix (Especias Mixtas), lightly crushed
- 1 head garlic
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds oxtail
- 2 containers (32 ounces each) original chicken stock
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium white onion, peeled
- 3 medium plum tomatoes , cored
- 1 medium Anaheim pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
El Guapo® Whole Premium Guajillo Chili Pods (Chile Guajillo Entero), stemmed and seeded
- el guapo guajillo whole chili pods
- 1 cans (29 ounces) hominy, drained and rinsed
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 Rinse pinto beans. Place in large container or saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover (at least 4 cups). Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Drain well. Wrap Spice Mix in cheesecloth or coffee filter. Tie tightly with kitchen twine; set aside. Peel away papery outer layers of garlic peel, leaving head whole. Trim about 1/4 inch off the top of garlic to expose cloves, leaving root end intact; set aside.
- 2 Place chuck roast, oxtail, stock and water in large saucepot. Cover; bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in soaked pinto beans, spice mix sachet, garlic, onion, 1 of the plum tomatoes, Anaheim pepper, cilantro and Guajillo Chilies. Cover. Simmer 2 hours until beans and meat are tender.
- 3 Remove onion, garlic, tomato, Anaheim pepper, Guajillo chilies and spice mix sachet from pot; set aside. Stir in hominy and 3 teaspoons of the salt. Cook 30 minutes longer or until hominy is tender.
- 4 Meanwhile, squeeze garlic from the root end to remove cloves, discarding any remnants of the peel. Place cloves in blender container. Add onion, tomato, Anaheim pepper, Guajillos, remaining 2 tomatoes and remaining 1 teaspoon salt to blender container. Cover. Blend on high speed until completely smooth. (Discard spice mix sachet.)
- 5 To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with prepared salsa. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with warm tortillas, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner