A comforting addition to any menu, this flavorful, tomato-based soup is chock full of vegetables and meatballs (ablondigas). Enjoy with warm tortillas and garnishes like sliced jalapeño, chopped white onion and cilantro and lime wedges.
Ingredients 16 Servings
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon El Guapo® Ground Black Pepper (Pimienta Negra Molida)
- 1/2 teaspoon El Guapo® Ground Coriander (Cilantro Molido)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium russet potato , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 containers (32 ounces each) chicken stock
- 2 El Guapo® Mexican Bay Leaves (Laurel)
- 2 teaspoons El Guapo® Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons El Guapo® Whole Oregano (Oregano Entero)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon El Guapo® Ground Coriander (Cilantro Molido)
- 1/2 teaspoon El Guapo® Ground Black Pepper (Pimienta Negra Molida)
- 1 For the Albondigas, mix all ingredients in large bowl until well blended. Shape into 1-inch balls. Arrange in single layer on large baking pan. Set aside.
- 2 For the Sopa, heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and potato. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and garlic, cook 7 minutes until tomatoes begin to caramelize. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil on medium-high heat.
- 3 Reduce heat to simmer. Carefully add Albondigas to saucepan, without stirring. Cover. Simmer until cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with warm tortillas, sliced jalapeño, chopped white onion and cilantro, and lime wedges, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner