Step aside grated Parm. Salt-cured egg yolks are the new umami-loaded pasta topper in town. You can turn egg yolks into solid orbs of golden goodness with a simple mix of salt, sugar and spices, and about four days. Serve the firm yolks with congee, or grate, shave or crumble over pasta, noodles, rice, salads, vegetables and soups.
Ingredients 6 (1 egg yolk) Servings
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 tablespoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 Mix salt, sugar and spices in medium bowl until well blended.
- 2 Spread half of the seasoned salt mixture in small glass baking dish (about 9x7-inch). Make 6 evenly spaced indentations into the salt mixture with the back of a spoon. Place an egg yolk into each indentation. Gently cover yolks with remaining salt mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving one corner open for moisture to escape. Refrigerate 4 days.
- 3 Preheat oven to 170°F. Remove egg yolks from salt mixture and carefully rinse in water. Place yolks on rack in small rimmed baking sheet. Discard any remaining salt mixture.
- 4 Bake 3 hours or until yolks are firm enough to slice or grate.