Fresh tomato-based soup gets all dressed up with cracked fennel, zucchini noodles and a perfectly poached egg! A variety of seasonings, including fennel, coriander and dill combine with garlic and dry white wine to create a mouth-watering broth. Add a robust mixture of halved grape tomatoes, zucchini noodles, and poached egg for this delicious dinner that’s – believe it or not - ready for your table in an hour.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup coarsley chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Fennel Seed, cracked
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Coriander Seed, cracked
- 1 teaspoon Gourmet Garden® Garlic Stir-In Paste
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups Kitchen Basics® Original Seafood Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Dill Weed
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 cup diced fennel bulb, (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup long, thin matchstick strips or spiralized zucchini
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 poached eggs
- 1 Remove the stems from the tops of the 4 medium tomatoes, then make an X in the bottom of each tomato. Place tomatoes in 2-quart saucepan of boiling water for 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer tomatoes with slotted spoon to large bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel off skin, then cut tomatoes in half. Remove the seeds of the tomatoes and place them in medium bowl with any liquid from inside the tomatoes. Set aside. Coarsely chop the seeded tomatoes and place them in another medium bowl. Strain liquid from seeds into bowl with the chopped tomatoes.
- 2 Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in 4-quart saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add cracked fennel, coriander, garlic and roasted pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add wine; cook 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes with liquid, stock, dill and sea salt; simmer 15 minutes.
- 3 Carefully pour soup into food processor or blender container; cover. With center part of cover removed to let steam escape, process until coarsely pureed. Blend on medium speed 2 minutes. Blend on high speed 2 minutes or until smooth. Return soup to the 4-quart saucepan. Keep warm.
- 4 Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add diced fennel; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until soft and lightly caramelized. Add zucchini; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- 5 To serve, divide fennel-zucchini mixture and grape tomatoes evenly among 6 serving bowls. Ladle each with the pureed tomato soup. Top each with a poached egg.