Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Fennel Seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pound littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons peri-peri sauce
- 1 Heat oil in large deep skillet on medium heat. Add shallot, fennel seed and garlic; cook and stir 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, wine and brown sugar; bring to boil, stirring occasionally
- 2 Stir in clams and mussels. Cover. Cook 8 minutes or until clams and mussels open. (Discard any clams and mussels that do not open.) Stir peri-peri sauce into liquid in pan until well blended
- 3 To serve, ladle clams, mussels and broth into soup bowls. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges, if desired
TIPS AND TRICKS
To crush fennel seed, place fennel seed in large resealable plastic bag. Close tightly. Pound with a rolling pin, mallet or heavy skillet until coarsely crushed.
Peri-peri sauce is a fiery chile sauce with origins in Portugal and Africa. It is often used as a marinade for chicken or shrimp, or as a condiment. It can be purchased in gourmet markets or online specialty stores.
Add chopped fresh parsley and lemon wedges, if desired.