Start your day with a homemade hash, overflowing with hearty, flavorful ingredients like tomato, zucchini, chickpeas and bacon. Flavored with Skhug Hot Sauce for a Middle Eastern-inspired heat, it’ll fill you up to power through the morning. Garnish with additional crumbled bacon, feta cheese and hot sauce.
Ingredients 5 Servings
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Skhug Hot Sauce (see Cooking Tip for recipe link)
- 1 Cook bacon in large skillet on medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper-towel lined plate. Crumble bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon for garnish.
- 2 Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the skillet. Add onion; cook and stir on medium heat 5 minutes or until softened. Add chickpeas and spices; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini; cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes or until tender-crisp. Stir in cherry tomatoes, Skhug Hot Sauce and the crumbled bacon, except for the 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish; simmer 5 minutes.
- 3 To serve, spoon breakfast hash into serving bowls. Top with reserved crumbled bacon and crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Serve with additional Skhug Hot Sauce, if desired.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip: Click here for Skhug Hot Sauce.